Need some advice?

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Happy Halloween! My makeup for Rocky Horror night

My university does a free showing of Rocky Horror every year at midnight, the Friday before Halloween. I normally don't dress like a particular character, but just go for outrageously sexy-gaudy makeup. Here's what I wore and here's how to do it! Happy Halloween!!
The look!

Eyes: I started off with an eyeshadow primer to make sure the smokey eye wouldn't shift allover my face throughout the night. Then using this eyeshadow palette, I did a smokey eye..
I first took the taupe color in the upper left corner on a soft dome brush and dusted it all over my lids and about halfway up onto my brow bones. Then, I took the grayish-taupe color on the top right on a stiff, flat brush and packed it into the inner and outer corner of both eyes. Lastly, I took the black shadow in the bottom right corner on the same stiff brush and tapped it onto the center of my lid. This was a pretty dark eye, so to lighten it up a bit, I lined my lower lash line with a white pencil and also took the liner up into the inner corner of my eye...
The white lining I did on the inner corner of my eyes I covered with the silver eyeshadow in the bottom left corner to make my eyes glitter. Next, I lined my eyes with a black gel liner. To get the winged out effect, you need to hold a straight edge against the outer corner of your eye at the angle you want the wing to go (I would recommend tape. It doesn't hurt and it frees up your hand to hold your lid steady). Because I felt the eyes still looked a little too matte for the occasion, I added a thin, metallic blue line in liquid eyeliner between my lashes and the top of the black gel line. It instantly made my eyes pop! Lastly, I curled my lashes and applied a great volumizing mascara (if you want more volume or thicker lashes, apply fake lashes as well)..

Face: Apply concealer AFTER you do your eyes because you will most likely get fallout from the dark shadows that could potentially mess up your concealer if you do that first. Contour your face with a darker bronzer to create a more dramatic look..
I've hit tin pan on this one, but I love it! I'll definitely use the whole thing up.

You can add blush if you'd like. I'd recommend a pink or red so it doesn't look too natural.


Lips: Everyone knows Rocky Horror is famous for the Lips that introduce the movie through the song "Science Fiction Double Feature"! For this look, I did a very dramatic red lip by applying a red lipstain and letting it dry...
Then, apply a true red lipstick. Avoid corals, because they'll look 'off' on top of the stain. Deeper shades like wine should also be avoided because they'll drag down the whole look and seem a bit heavy. So, apply your red lipstick, and then blot away excess. Reapply a light coat if you'd like to make it more shiny. Leave it alone if you want it to be matte.
If you're like me, you probably struggle with making your lips look PERFECT each time you do them. Since red lipstick will definitely stand out if it's not all even, take a light-colored concealer and a small brush and line just outside of your lips, and blend outward. This will highlight your cupids bow, hide any mistakes or discoloration, and make your lips look almost too perfect.


And there you have it: a perfect Rocky Horror look for all of my gorgeous Beauty Brains. Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment