Need some advice?

Monday, October 25, 2010

My Top 10 Drugstore Brands

If you follow my blog, you already know that I'm a champion of drugstore makeup and beauty items because they often work just as well as the more expensive brands and cost a heck of a lot less. While it's true that some work better than others, so many of the fantastic drugstore products I've tried have worked miracles and never fail to impress me.

Here, in no particular order are my most highly recommended drugstore makeup, skin, and hair care brands:

1) Rimmel London: I obviously have to mention this brand because their mascara, Sexy Curves, just won my Battle of the Brands: The Search for the Perfect Mascara, but the brand has so much more that I really love. Their lipsticks are smooth, moisturizing, and heavily tinted, allowing for a vibrant, colorful lip. I also like their pencil eyeliner because of it's smooth and creamy formula. Rimmel always has adorable packaging and their makeup is slightly edgy and hip. I would recommend it for the 20-30 crowd, but anyone with the right attitude can make it work. Rimmel's prices are pretty low on average.

2)Maybelline: Maybe it's because they've been around forever, or maybe it's because they just have really nice products, but Maybelline is another fantastic drugstore brand. Their Falsies Mascara came in second place in my Battle of the Brands, but I'm a huge fan of their eyeshadow quads. These fantastic little palettes have four highly pigmented eyeshadows that go together to create the perfect eye look. I really enjoy the eyeshadows on their own or together because they're high quality and don't crease easily, which means your look can last all day. Maybelline is also low priced -- although, sometimes it's a bit more expensive than Rimmel -- and has pretty bland packaging, but I feel that the high quality of their eyeshadows more than makes up for it.

3) Revlon: They make my favorite foundation. Period. Without their stellar foundation formula, I don't think my makeup would look quite as good on a day-to-day basis. It's a bit on the pricey side as far as drugstore makeup is concerned, but I think it's truly a great product and worth every single penny.

4) John Frieda Collection: This is by far one of the best hair care lines I've found in any drugstore or Walmart. I feel that it's quite trustworthy because it has the name of one of the most successful salon owners in the world behind it and has always helped my hair, whether for frizz control or color shielding. Currently, I'm in love with the Lustrous Blonde line of this collection. The shampoo and conditioner leave my color-treated hair feeling soft, strong, and manageable. I don't feel that it weighs down my hair nor does it dry it out. The price point can get expensive, so I would recommend shopping around at different stores before buying (i.e. price compare Walmart and Walgreens online before buying as they might be running different ads and specials).

5) Neutrogena: I've always been and always will be a Neutrogena girl. The brand makes the perfect skin care regiment for people with skin like mine: normal to dry with little acne, some rough patches, and minor discoloration. They have products targeted at teens, but recently introduced a more mature, adult skin care line (review, anyone?). Their scents are clean and light, easily usable by men and women, and their formulas leave my skin soft and glowing.

6) Aussie: When it comes to deep conditioners and hair masks, Aussie's got it down pat. I'm a big fan of their products because they're made mostly of natural ingredients, which means there's less of a chance of my hair suffering damage. The products are very affordable and smell delicious!

7) Sonia Kashuk: Though it is only available at Target, Sonia Kashuk is a fantastic cosmetic line that has high-quality makeup at a mid-level, affordable price. The gel eyeliner from this line is a standout product that I could not live without!

8) New York Color (NYC): When it comes to nail polish, nobody does it better than NYC. They have a HUGE variety of nail polish that is extremely affordable and comes in beautiful shades and colors. No matter what people try to tell you, NYC is definitely on the same quality level as OPI and China Glaze (all nail polishes chip eventually, no matter how much you pay for them). NYC is constantly coming out with new colors, so go check them out!

9) Physician's Formula: Kind of like the Clinique of drugstore brands, Physicians Formula makes tons of great products for people with sensitive skin. I love their baked eyeshadows and have heard wonderful things about their recently released custom eye enhancing line. It's moderately priced for a drugstore brand, but really works well and is bland enough for sensitive skin.

10) Evolution of Smooth (EOS): I've already told you that I LOVE their lip balm, but their shaving cream is just as nice: extremely silky and moisturizing and smells fantastic. I wish they were carried more widely, but they're products are always available at CVS and Target. They can be a bit pricey for a drugstore brand, but it's totally worth it.

What are your favorite drugstore brands?

No comments:

Post a Comment