Need some advice?

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Review: Sinful Colors Nail Polish in See You Soon

Recently, MAC introduced their new Venomous Villains collection which, despite being exceptionally overpriced like most things MAC creates, instantly sold out all over the world. And while I normally avoid all things MAC because they're unaffordable, I couldn't help but fall in love with the nail polishes: Bad Fairy, Mean and Green, and Formidable!. These colors are duochrome, which means they look black in some lighting and then change from one color to a whole other when in more direct light. Formidable!, my particular favorite in the collection, switched from olive to berry depending on the lighting. But at $13 each, I originally overlooked these polishes.

Until I started to see them everywhere. And then I thought "Hm. Maybe I should splurge just this once because it's so unique. No other nail polish has looked quite this cool."

Needless to say, by the time I'd fallen in love with Formidable!, all three shades were already sold out EVERYWHERE! People were actually selling their backup bottles on Ebay for $30 a pop! Obviously, I was not going to pay that much for a nail polish (I wince at OPI's prices normally and MAC's were even more expensive. This was just out of control), so I settled with the knowledge that I just wasn't going to get this polish.

However, the other day, I discovered Sinful Colors while browsing the cosmetics section in my local Walgreens. Immediately, I noticed that these colors were also duochrome (yay!) and the price was definitely right: only $1.99! There were only about 5 different colors on the display, but I was instantly drawn to one called See You Soon, which looked black at first, but then moved between blue and aqua. So I bought it :-)


Sinful Colors Professional Polish in See You Soon

When I brought it home, I showed it to my friend Vannesa who took one look at it and said "Wow! That reminds me of OPI's Lincoln Park After Dark." For those of you who don't know, Lincoln Park After Dark (LPAD) was a black-berry polish that looked black in indirect light, but changed into a beautiful wine color. The color has been discontinued, but can still be found online for between $5 and $10.


Size comparison of OPI (shown here in Access 24/7) and Sinful Colors (See You Soon)

A shot of the brush tip for all of you Beauty Brains (can I just call you guys BBs from now on? Let me know :-) )

So far, I absolutely adore my new Sinful Colors polish. It applied very easily, only required two coats, and dried completely within 2 minutes. It's extremely lustrous and has a smooth surface (most sparkly polished feel very rough or textured, which I hate). My only complaint is that the brush isn't full like OPI's, but other than that, the bottle looks exactly the same!


Here it is looking a bit black...

..and then it turns blue!



Overall Verdict:
Get it. Get it now. Before it's gone like the MAC collection polishes. This is such a cool, unique polish that is perfectly on trend for this fall and winter. And if blue or teal aren't your colors, check it out in the reds and purples Sinful Colors had as well.

What do you think of Sinful Colors? Are you a MAC or OPI fan? If you have one of the Venomous Villains polishes, do a comparison for me!

1 comment:

  1. i'm not much on the darker colors but i'd love to see a similar product that say goes from maybe pink to lavendar or something...i'll have to check at walgreens!! thanks for the tips!!

    ReplyDelete