Need some advice?

Friday, October 22, 2010

Battle of the Brands: The Search for the Perfect Mascara - The Final Verdict

So the Battle of the Brands: The Search for the Perfect Mascara is over! Have we found a champion? Let's review the five mascaras I used this past week and see which one comes out on top!
All five of the mascara's I reviewed. From L to R: Fabulash by Revlon, Falsies by Maybelline, Sexy Curves by Rimmel London, LashBlast by Covergirl, and Million Lashes by L'Oreal.

Fabulash by Revlon
Pros: Good curl hold, pretty long lasting, classic packaging
Cons: Smudged pretty easily, not waterproof, tended to clump
Final Verdict: Okay, but not great. I'd probably pass it up.
Score: 2.5/5

Falsies by Maybelline
Pros: Intense volume, literally looks like you're wearing false lashes, cool curved wand, waterproof
Cons: Very hard to remove, some clumping, spiky
Final Verdict: I think this mascara is good for a night out, but not every day wear.
Score: 4/5

Sexy Curves by Rimmel London
Pros: Waterproof, medium volume, smooth application, cool bubble wand, cute packaging
Cons: Require recurl after application, minimal clumping
Final Verdict: Fabulous every-day mascara!
Score: 4.5/5

LashBlast by Covergirl
Pros: Smooth application, quick-drying, waterproof
Cons: No volume, no curl holding, hard to remove
Final Verdict: Good back-up mascara, but not strong enough for every-day wear.
Score: 3.5/5

Million Lashes by L'Oreal
Pros: None.
Cons: Disgusting smell, no volume, no curl holding, wears off quickly, clumpy
Final Verdict: If you're considering buying it, don't. If you own it, throw it out.
Score: 0/5

Sooo... In last place, clearly, we have Million Lashes by L'Oreal. I won't get too far into details, but I just did not like it. Revlon's Fabulash also scored low, but I think it's okay as an emergency mascara (perhaps for travel bags or the purse you don't use often?). Covergirl's Lashblast did not live up to expectations, either. I think it's very dull and would not recommend it as a primary, every-day mascara.

Which leaves us with Maybelline's Falsies and Rimmel London's Sexy Curves. And the winner is...

RIMMEL LONDON'S SEXY CURVES!!!!!!
This mascara is gorgeous and wears perfectly. The waterproof power is incredible and it gives you gorgeous lashes all day, everyday.

Maybelline's Falsies Mascara takes home the runner-up award and my recommendation for Night Out Mascara. It's volumizing power is perfect for those of us who hate false lash application, but love the look of false lashes. Now you can have the best of both worlds with this mascara! Be sure to comb out lashes to avoid clumps immediately after application and then recurl lashes if you want it to work, though.

This concludes this week's Battle of the Brands. Do you have another cosmetic item you'd like me to do a comparison on (i.e. concealer, bronzer, lipstain, cream blush)? Let me know in the comments!

1 comment:

  1. Concealer! I love my Bare Minerals powder concealer for most days, but I'd like a cheap cream concealer for those few days when my skin just sucks.

    Also, you should do lipstains, just because they are my favorite! So fun and easy to wear. I love the Maybelline Color Sensational one I just bought.

    ReplyDelete