Need some advice?

Thursday, October 7, 2010

The Great Debate: Gel Liner vs. Liquid Liner vs. Pencil Liner

Lining your eyes is an important step of any beauty routine because it can make the overall look more dramatic, more playful, more sultry, or even more polished. It all depends on what tools you use and the technique used to draw the line.

Eyeliner can be a disaster, though, if you're not familiar with the products available and simply dive in without picking one that you're comfortable with. The three main types of eyeliner I would recommend checking out are pencil liners, liquid liners, and gel liners. Also, try out a waterproof formula because eyeliner can run or smudge and leave a big sticky mess if it's not waterproofed.

Pencil Eyeliner
Considered the most easy to work with by many beauty brains, pencil eyeliner is just that: eyeliner in a pencil form. This means that when the point gets dull (or breaks) you can just pull out your sharpener and get a point back that works for you. The best pencil eyeliners have a creamy formula, not a dry one nor an oily one. Creamy formulas will be a cinch to apply and manipulate (i.e. smudging), but will not budge after they settle on the eye. In my humble opinion, it is hardest to find a good, creamy eyeliner pencil at a decent price as many drugstore brands are too oily and slide all over the eye. Still, if you think pencil eyeliner is for you (and it is, for anyone new to eyeliner), you should check out Rimmel London Waterproof Eyedefiner ($4.12 at Walmart), L'Oreal Extra Intense Eyeliner ($6.50) or mark.'s No Place to Run Eyeliner ($8.00). Please note that if you go to Walmart or another drugstore, you will see cheaper pencil liners on the shelves. I would not recommend these products because the formula is either too dry or too oily.

Liquid Eyeliner
This type of eyeliner can be extremely messy if not used with a steady hand and gentle application. However, if you practice making lines on the back of your hand first and take your time when applying it around the eye area, then your eyeliner will come out gorgeous! I find liquid eyeliner best for job interviews or important business occasions because you can make the thinnest line possible with it, which looks more polished than a pencil liner. You cannot tightline or use liquid eyeliner on your waterline, though, because it will not dry properly and then will lead to a runny mess that will irritate your eyes. One of my all-time favorite liners is e.l.f.'s Waterproof Eyeliner Pen (only $1 at Target or eyeslipsface.com!) because the formula is long-lasting, waterproof, and quick-drying and the packaging is so much easier to work with. The pen looks exactly like a pencil, except it has a felt tip and never needs to be sharpened, so you can literally draw it right onto the eye. Some other stand-out liquid liner formulas include Maybelline Line Works Liquid Liner ($5.94), Covergirl Liquid Liner Pen Line Exact ($6.97), and mark.'s On the Edge Hookup Liquid Eyeliner ($6.00).

Gel Eyeliner

A happy median between pencil and liquid liners, gel liner is my preferred type of eyeliner. I find that a good gel liner has a creamy consistency, but is quick drying and very smooth on the eye. Gel Liner is applied with an angled or thin brush that can be purchased separately or sometimes comes bundled with the liner. I have seen people apply gel eyeliner directly to their waterlines and then seal it with some eyeshadow in the same color. While I've never tried it, I'm pretty sure this would actually work and give you a long-lasting, smudge-free line. Gel Eyeliner can also be used as an eyeshadow base if you smudge it across the lid (really good technique for dark, smokey eyes). Sonia Kashuk's Dramatically Defining Long Wear Gel Liner ($8.99 at Target) is by far the best gel eyeliner I have ever used. It's creamy, non-drying, and easy to apply. Maybelline Eye Studio Gel Eyeliner ($6.98) is another well-reviewed gel eyeliner and comes with an application brush as does e.l.f.'s Studio Cream Eyeliner ($3.00).

No matter which eyeliner product you pick, remember to throw out your old one and buy a new one every 3-4 months regardless of whether you used it up because bacteria can collect in or on it and you don't want to put that near your eye.

Which eyeliner is your favorite? Is there a particular product you love? Tell me all about it in the comment section!

3 comments:

  1. The only liner I have ever used is liquid - my mom recommended it to me when I first started wearing liner, and I have never looked back. I have been extremely pleased with both the liquid liners available from Maybelline and CoverGirl!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my Bobbi Brown gel eyeliner! It's expensive, but it stays on even when I'm running around for a 14 hour day in Tallahassee heat. That's saying something. And it's really pretty-- dark brown with little flecks of gold. =] Pencil eyeliner is my second choice, but liquid eyeliner hates me! I know you love it, but even if I can apply it well, it still gets all gross and smeared.

    Awesome product suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a Maybelline pencil -- the twist kind -- that I'm OBSESSED with. I wish I had the steady hands for liquid liner but I'm terrible at it.
    Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and for your sweet comment! Yours is fab; I can't wait for more.
    xo Josie
    http://winksmilestyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete