Need some advice?

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Search for the Perfect Liquid Foundation

Foundation is definitely the most important step in any makeup application because it evens out your complexion and creates a truly blank canvas for you to work with. Therefore, finding the one that is perfect for you is really, really important. So what should you consider when comparing foundations? I'd recommend looking at texture, thickness, coverage, time it takes to dry, and oiliness, but you can judge foundations on tons of other qualities as well.

Over the past year and a half, I have made it my business to try as many liquid foundations as possible in search of the one, as in the one foundation that will highlight my best features, lovingly hide what I don't like, and will stay with me forever (yeah, I just compared finding the perfect foundation to finding true love.). In this post, I'll give some reviews of the most noteworthy products and hopefully help you find your true love.. er, I mean foundation!

1) mark. Get a Tint Tinted Moisturizer Lotion ($9.00)
This is actually a tinted moisturizer -- different from a foundation because it is more sheer and lightweight -- but I count it as a foundation because you still apply it after your primer and concealer, but before eyeshadow or powder. A decent amount comes in the tube which is fantastic!
Pros: Lightweight, contains SPF 15, has a moisturizer built into the formula.
Cons: I noticed that it completely melted while I was outside over the summer which is NOT good. It got in my eyes and stung terribly. This product also takes a while to dry.
Final Verdict: Great product if you're not going to be outside in the sun. Which is kind of silly, since it does contain SPF protection.
Rating: 2.5/5

2) Rimmel London Stay Matte Clarifying Matte Foundation ($6.90 at Ulta)
Love the packaging because the tube is super thin which makes it easy to slip into a makeup bag for travel. At the same time, the tube is a bit small, so I feel like I'm not getting as much product as I paid for.
Pros: Thicker consistency, good coverage, creamy application, dries within 45 seconds of application.
Cons: I don't think it actually lasted 12 hours like it promised. And I didn't really notice any shine control.
Final Verdict: Although it doesn't do exactly what the packaging promises, I still think this was a pretty good product and would consider purchasing again if only for travel.
Rating: 3/5

3) Covergirl TruBlend with Blendable Minerals ($6.50 at Walmart)
This brand has a reputation for being a strong contender in drugstore makeup, so I thought I'd give it a shot. The packaging isn't too cute and the pump got dirty kind of quickly. The glass bottle also kind of scared me (if I drop it will it shatter and get foundation everywhere?), but it was thin and easy to fit into a makeup bag.
Pros: Pump makes it super easy to apply, great coverage, thicker consistency.
Cons: Seemed to take forever to fully dry, left my skin feeling a bit oily. I don't think it actually lasted all day, especially in my t-zone.
Final Verdict: It's a great back-up foundation, but I'm not sure I really love it. I'll probably purchase it again because the price is so fantastic.
Rating: 3.5/5

4) Revlon PhotoReady Makeup ($11.97)
I heard wonderful things about this foundation from other makeup gurus on Youtube, so after much thought (because it is a bit pricey), I decided to give it a try.
Pros: OHMYGOSH! Almost everything!! It's incredibly lightweight, but gives fantastic coverage. No scent, SPF 20, dries quickly.
Cons: It dries quickly. Haha.. I know I just said that was good, but since it does dry pretty fast, it's very hard to blend it once it's on your skin. So, if you're not quick with your foundation or stippling brush, your foundation could look a bit streaky. The bottle is also made of glass and is a bit of an odd, round shape.
Final Verdict: This is the best liquid foundation I've ever used! It's smooth, has great coverage, light formula, and dries quickly with no oiliness. LOVE it!!
Rating:4.5/5

Do you have a foundation you'd like me to review? Or do you have your own review for one of these products? Share it!

No comments:

Post a Comment