Need some advice?

Monday, November 15, 2010

Get the Look: Day-time Red Lips

When I think of classic, iconic makeup that NEVER goes out of style, I always think of the red lip. It's the epitome of sexy, feminine, strong, bold, and timeless all in one cute bundle. Many believe, though, that you can only rock a red lip at night or for a formal event because it's too sexy or too bold. But why should we as women think that way? I mean, shouldn't we embrace our femininity at all times?

Of course we should! Which is why you need not hide your red lipstick during the day, but rather learn how to wear it differently for a more office, school, or every-day appropriate look.
The trick, you see, is to use a coral lipstick instead of a true red. Coral, which was a huge hit this summer with blue eyeliner, is slightly more orange than red and therefore looks more neutral when worn. It's not just a summer trend, though! Because it has orange tones in it, I would argue it's very appropriate for fall and should be worn.

To keep your look more day-time appropriate and to draw as much attention to your red lips as possible. Keep the eyes mega neutral. For this look, I used a champagne shadow that had no shimmer or glitter in it all over the lid and no contour color. I did line my eyes and draw more attention to my ironic twist on the red lip, I added a small wing at the end, reminiscent of the 1950s pinups and starlets that made red lips popular.

The most important step of the whole process is to make any other colors on your face virtually disappear. You need to cover up any bags under your eyes, redness from acne, or general discoloration so that the most attention can be brought to your coral lips. I would recommend contouring your face, though, with a matte bronzer so that your face doesn't look flat and cartoony. You can also go in and add a highlighter if you have very dry skin.

1 comment:

  1. Ooh, I really adore this makeup look. And I agree; it does have a bit of a Vargas Girl aesthetic to it - very lovely!! :)

    ReplyDelete